Sun Prairie Youth Football Families,
I wanted to reach out to you
our families as soon as we knew what our situation would be for the
Fall 2020 season. We have tried to remain optimistic as the season
approached. We also wanted to gather as much information as possible
before we made a decision. That time has come. With today's announcement
by Sun Prairie School District regarding virtual learning
to start the school year. That decision means district buildings and
remain closed until November 2nd, 2020.
this means to SPYF is we have to cancel our 2020 season. We will not
place to practice. Additionally the current county health
guidelines will not allow us to practice tackle football. No blocking or
tackling means our players would not be ready for a tackle season. And
it meant if we were able to practice our games would all have to be
played on the road.
As this became clear it was our hope to be able to offer an alternative
form of football using a skills and drills model with a 7 on 7 format.
This would be in house with groups of 10-15 kids. The highlight could
have possibly been the opportunity to practice/scrimmage on the new
Ashley Field. This fall form of football would have been included in
whatever tackle season we would have in possibly the Spring.
are not alone. Programs in Monona Grove, Waunakee, Oregon, Middleton,
Verona and Mt. Horeb are all in the same situation. We are all looking
ahead together as a league (Badger Alliance) at options for the Spring.
We are monitoring the WIAA and a plan being considered to move the Fall
sports season to
the Spring. The Winter sports season would go January to March, followed
by the Fall season March to May,
and the Spring season May to July. The WIAA is meeting this week on it
and is expected to vote next week on the plan. This is happening at the
college level already. Madison College just announced their plan last
week. Also the Ivy League is consider a similar plan. Regardless of that
decision there is a chance we will be able offer a season in the
Spring. More on those options when state and local officials announce
We will announce our refund plans as
soon as possible. We are working with Sports Connect to make the refund
process as painless on everyone as possible. Once we have a system ready
we will be in touch with your options.
-Refund of the 2020 Registration Fee
We hope to be able to have sports connect refund directly to cards, but we are prepared to write checks to ensure refunds.
-Move 2020 Fee to Spring or Fall of 2021 Season
This will be determined after we know what the WIAA is proposing and we know what our Badger Alliance wants to do.
-Donation to the SPYF Scholarship and Equipment Fund
have had a couple parents ask if they could donate their $175
registration fee to the program. We obviously very much appreciate the
offer and would be humbled to accept those donations. Those funds would
go directly towards the purchases of new equipment and make it possible
to offer more scholarships to families who can't afford to play.
Kindness like this allows us all to get through these frustrating times a little easier. Thank you for considering it.
Please know we
are as sad as you are in not being able to make this work. We sincerely
wanted the opportunity to hold something to attempt to return some
normalcy to our player's lives. With that said, please keep an eye out
for emails from your coaches. We will be looking for opportunities to
safely get together. We miss them and can't wait until that first day of
practice whenever that may come. Please also let them know we would
all like them to enjoy the rest of their summer. Then be sure to work
hard in school. And let them know we expect them to be ready and in
great shape for the start of the season because they have got more time
to get ready for it.
If you have questions let me know I will try to get back to everyone as soon as possible.
On behalf of the SPYF Board please take care and stay safe!
Coach Ryan Lobenstein,
Sun Prairie Youth Football Board President